JMS on CompuServe (Apr 13, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Apr 13 15:18:19 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #662185-Women in the Sequel
    Sb: #662269-#Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

 #: 662185 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-Apr-97  08:47:02
Sb: #Women in the Sequel
Fm: Eric Baker

JMS --
     It was good to shake hands with you at I-con.  If it helps to
have a face to go with the name, I said hello to you at the awards
banquet.  I was the one wearing the green photographer's vest who
asked if you were worried about AOL buying Compuserve.  [You said
you didn't have any attention left for long term worries like
that.]
     I've been lurking here long enough to know that you are not
going to write the sequel by committee, so I'm sorry that this
question brushes the edge of that faux pas, but it is such a unique
opportunity to be able to write to a TV producer who is both in the
process of creating a show and who answers his e-mail.  8)
     What I'm curious about is if you have given any thought to the
male/female ratio on the new show?  Given the overwhelming
preponderance of speaking roles for men on television, it seems to
me as if one of the most dramatic changes you could make with a new
show would be to actually give half the speaking roles to women.
You showed the clip at I-con where the B5 command staff is having
breakfast together and Sherridan is in the corner laughing.
Ivanova was the only woman in the room.  That was 4 to 1, the same
ratio we're likely to see in a similar scene on "NYPD Blue" or "ER"
or "Homicide," and yet B5 isn't set on today's Earth; it is set in
a far future.
     Obviously, there are a lot of things you can do to distinquish
the sequel from other, more traditional television shows, but I
think putting more women on the screen would be one of the easiest
and most revolutionary.  Have you given any thought to it?
          -- Eric

 #: 662236 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-Apr-97  15:54:06
Sb: #662185-Women in the Sequel
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I never ever give thought to ratios, or making a political statement, or
anything other than the story.  If that meant using 100% female cast in the
movie, or 100% male cast, or some variation thereof, then that's what it'll be.
I think the *instant* you start putting agendas ahead of the creative process,
of saying "What is the story *about*?" then I think you're dead.

    12-Apr-97  20:38:36
Sb: #Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Fm: JEAN S MCKNIGHT

Well, sure enough, there you are on page 68 of Sci-Fi Invasion with a keyboard
in your lap. Looks like a comfy setup.  What sort of mutant keyboard is that?
Is it wireless?  Would you recommend this arrangement for those of us with the
CTS and sore neck blues?

                                        Jean McKnight

 #: 662291 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-Apr-97  01:04:03
Sb: #662269-#Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's a Kinesis keyboard, which I've found very useful.  It's cut back
the discomfort quite a bit, and I recommend it, though it takes a bit to get
used to it.

      I've also just ordered a Datahand, which is a very radically different
design, though there's apparently an 8 week waiting list.  I'll let folks know
how that one works out.