JMS on CompuServe (Aug 12, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Aug 12 14:43:30 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #692484-->402
    Sb: #692432-DS9 = Babylon 5
    Sb: #692543-Son of B5 Benchmark
    Sb: #692704-Son of B5 Benchmark

 #: 692484 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    10-Aug-97  10:37:10
Sb: #692299-#->402
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
     Is Harlan's suggestion related to Mr. Trent or totally unrelated?
                                                                        Shane

 #: 692563 S7/Babylon 5: UK/World
    10-Aug-97  22:24:08
Sb: #692484-->402
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's an unrelated story.

                                                                    jms

   any arguements are to be thrown around concerning the unoriginality idea,
   then babylon 5 should be the guilty party." ]

 #: 692571 S3/Star Trek: DS9
    10-Aug-97  23:39:07
Sb: #692432-DS9 = Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      B5 was created in 1987; the pilot was shot actually before the DS9 pilot
was shot, but they rushed their version out before B5 could air.  There were
only a few weeks between the airing of the two pilots.

    10-Aug-97  19:02:19
Sb: #Son of B5 Benchmark
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms --

In the current _Starlog_, in an article about *Stargate SG1*, one of the
producers, Jonathan Glassner, is quoted as follows:

"What we're trying to do is much like what *Babylon 5* does, where they
constantly explore and expand upon the mythology they've created, yet each
episode can stand alone as a good story."

Whether or not they succeed in their attempt, Glassner's using B5 as a
storytelling benchmark has to be one more brick in the structure of B5 as a
lasting achievement. (And makes a lot more sense than Jarvis' "moral,
mythological" comparison to *Roar* in _TV Guide_, no?)

-rje- But then there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

 #: 692572 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Aug-97  23:39:09
Sb: #692543-Son of B5 Benchmark
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, a number of shows are now adapting the B5 storytelling model, with
an overarching arc and shows that keep it going.  The new Roddenberry series
has a five year arc of its own, apparently.  More will follow, now that we've
broken the ice.

                                                                    jms

   Web have been to Babylon 5's popularity. ]

 #: 692722 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Aug-97  21:25:47
Sb: #692704-Son of B5 Benchmark
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I honestly don't know how important the web has been because frankly, if
you added up all the web-users out there, it wouldn't be a blip on the ratings
charts.  That said, our audience has definitely increased over the last 4
years, one of the few syndicated shows that has grown while nearly all the rest
have fallen.  Xena has grown, and I think one or two others, but that's it.

      It just takes any show a while to find its audience, or in this case, for
our audience to find *us*, given scheduling.  We've begun doing that, and are
nearly at critical mass.