JMS on CompuServe (Aug 14, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Aug 15 01:15:25 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #693123-#Story Arc challeges
    Sb: #693110-#<Summoning: Translation>
    Sb: #693330-Scripts
    Sb: #693367-Story Arc challeges

   show affected your original overall storyarc?" ]

 #: 693201 S2/Star Trek: General
    14-Aug-97  03:49:55
Sb: #693123-#Story Arc challeges
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      One of the first things I had to do, in plotting out the storyline, was
to set aside trap doors for *every single character*, because you never know
when or how the real world is going to impinge upon you.  An actor can quit, or
get hit by a car, or slammed by a meteor...there's no way to control the
characters the way you do in a novel.  That's a given.  But you can't bring
X-million viewers along to a certain point, then say, "Well, all the stuff we
were going to do we can't because X isn't here."

      So in a way, the structure of the story is kind of like a computer game
tree...pull out a piece along the way, and it goes down a different path, but
ends up at exactly the same point at the end.  It's the difference between
different *results* and different ways of *getting* there.

      You can do a story about a platoon in WW II, for instance, and some of
the platoon may live, die, be injured, whatever...but the story of WWII is the
story of WWII.

      Beyond that, a challenge is just that: a call to see just how good you
*really* are, kid.  If you've ever seen GLORY, there's the scene in which one
of the Massachusetts 54th is being taught to shoot.  He does just fine, hits
the target, reloads fine...when nobody's shooting at him.  At which point the
colonel starts firing a revolver right next to his head, teling him to try and
do it NOW, and do it FAST, with ten thousand guns firing at him.

      That's when the art comes in, that's when the skill comes in...in dealing
with what you *don't* expect.

                                                                    jms

   that, while it isn't technically a word in German, it is a word that any
   German would understand. ]

 #: 693202 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    14-Aug-97  03:49:58
Sb: #693110-#<Summoning: Translation>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Danke.

    14-Aug-97  17:30:35
Sb: #Scripts
Fm: ROSEANN M. CAPUTO

Joe,

I was on a web site today that advertises that they have scripts for sale from
various movies and tv shows.  They list quite a few B5 scripts.  Are these
legal?  Are they being sold legally?  I like to collect scripts, but preferably
ones I can get autographed down the road.  The site is www.scriptshop.com.
Would appreciate any info you might have and if you or one of the cast is
presented with one of these, would it get signed or would I get a smack in the
head? <g>

Thanks,

Roseann

PS:  Interesting little tidbit for next weeks tv guide.

 #: 693331 S5/Babylon 5: General
    14-Aug-97  17:40:05
Sb: #693330-Scripts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, these scripts are *not* legitimate or legal.  I know they say they
buy from "script dealers," but that translates out to "people who stole scripts
from studios."  WB is aware of this one, and preparing to go after them.  The
actual ownership of the physical *script* itself is shared and/or alternated by
the studio and the writer, and it *cannot* be sold without the permission of
the writer.

                                                                       jms

 #: 693367 S2/Star Trek: General
    14-Aug-97  20:52:30
Sb: #693201-#Story Arc challeges
Fm: RON CHUSID

Message text written by J. Michael Straczynski
>    One of the first things I had to do, in plotting out the storyline, was to
set aside trap doors for *every single character*, because you never know when
or how the real world is going to impinge upon you.  An actor can quit, or get
hit by a car, or slammed by a meteor...there's no way to control the characters
the way you do in a novel.  That's a given.  But you can't bring X-million
viewers along to a certain point, then say, "Well, all the stuff we were going
to do we can't because X isn't here."

      So in a way, the structure of the story is kind of like a computer game
tree...pull out a piece along the way, and it goes down a different path, but
ends up at exactly the same point at the end.  It's the difference between
different *results* and different ways of *getting* there.<

We are now seeing one "computer game tree"--the result of the cast changes
which have already been made. It would be interesting to read an outline of the
original arc, and the various changes which you have had to make along the way.
I'm sure there is quite enough inside information for a book. Have you
considered writing it once you are finished with the series (assuming your time
doesn't get monopolized by the next show)? Your on-line activities must also be
good for a chapter or two of interesting stories.

Along similar lines of giving you more to write, I've been skimming thru your
Scriptwriting book. (It is now offered thru the Quality Paperbook Book Club,
and I couldn't resist it when I saw it offered.) I have no interest in
scriptwriting, but I do find some of your inside information on the tv and
movie industries to be of interest. You might consider a writing a more general
book rather than one directed towards aspiring scriptwriters. You'd have a lot
more competition, but a considerably bigger potential audience.

 #: 693388 S2/Star Trek: General
    14-Aug-97  21:42:17
Sb: #693367-Story Arc challeges
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"It would be interesting to read an outline of the original arc, and the
various changes which you have had to make along the way. I'm sure there is
quite enough inside information for a book. Have you considered writing it once
you are finished with the series (assuming your time doesn't get monopolized by
the next show)?"

      One heart attack at a time.

"You might consider a writing a more general book rather than one directed
towards aspiring scriptwriters. You'd have a lot more competition, but a
considerably bigger potential audience."

      See above.