JMS on CompuServe (Aug 16, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Aug 16 22:16:47 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #693578-New B5 Novels
    Sb: #693580-#Bruce on Claudia
    Sb: #693585-Bruce on Claudia
    Sb: #693632-Scripts
    Sb: #693618-Claudia's replacement

   about?" ]

 #: 693588 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Aug-97  21:20:17
Sb: #693578-New B5 Novels
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's something very exciting in the works for the next batch of B5
novels, but I can't or shouldn't say anything until the announcements come at
WorldCon.

    15-Aug-97  18:37:29
Sb: #693547-#Bruce on Claudia
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <For those who've wanted to hear another point of view on the CC thing,
check out http://www.tvguide.com/tv/circuits/0815A.htm for Bruce Boxleitner's
comments, since Bruce was there when it all went down, and saw everything
firsthand.  His comments are as straightforward and uncensored as ever.>

        I went over to the site with the address you gave and got a file not
found on server error.  I ended up just using www.tvguide.com/tv/circuits and
then clicking on the Bruce B. story from there.  I looked at the url at that
point and saw "www.tvguide.com/tv/circuits/0815a.htm".  The only difference I
see is that small "a" after the 0815, where you had a capital.  I don't know if
that's what the problem was or not.
        Anyway, it was a very good article.  From what I've seen of Bruce B. on
shows like PI and the like, he must be one of the most unpretentious TV stars
I've seen.  I wonder how much this has to do with him working with James
Arness.
        I've been meaning to say this for a while now, but haven't had a good
time until now.  When Michael O'Hare left I was very worried that his spot
wouldn't be adequately filled.  When Bruce Boxleitener was announced as the
replacement, I was cautiously optimistic.
        Well, almost three years have gone by since then.  Now, I can't imagine
what B5 would have been like without Bruce.  Bruce has brought a LOT to the
show.  You, and the fans, really lucked out by Bruce getting on board.

                                                Tom^^^^

 #: 693589 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Aug-97  21:20:19
Sb: #693580-#Bruce on Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I went over to the site with the address you gave and got a file not found on
server error.  I ended up just using www.tvguide.com/tv/circuits and then
clicking on the Bruce B. story from there.  I looked at the url at that point
and saw "www.tvguide.com/tv/circuits/0815a.htm".  The only difference I see is
that small "a" after the 0815, where you had a capital.  I don't know if that's
what the problem was or not."

      Yeah, apparently that makes all the difference...so anyone looking on,
make the a lower case not upper case, or just go to the TV Guide main menu.

"From what I've seen of Bruce B. on shows like PI and the like, he must be one
of the most unpretentious TV stars I've seen.  I wonder how much this has to do
with him working with James Arness."

      I don't know if it's specifically that, but yeah, Bruce does have a kind
of outspokenness and frankness and "ah, hell," attitude that comes from his
long association with westerns.  He's absolutely a straight shooter.

"I can't imagine what B5 would have been like without Bruce.  Bruce has brought
a LOT to the show.  You, and the fans, really lucked out by Bruce getting on
board."

      Bruce has done a great job.  He loves the role, he *is* the Captain, and
around the stage he's the show's cheerleader, team captain, and resident bright
spirit.  Peter also does a lot of that, as does Rick, but Bruce is just an
amazing team player.

    15-Aug-97  20:36:36
Sb: #693547-#Bruce on Claudia
Fm: RON CHUSID

I just checked out the Boxleitner article. As I had never gone toTV Guide's web
site, I also started browsing around there, and found that you and B5 are
mentioned at least one more place:

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straszinsky cites Seconds as the film that most
influenced his career, even though Frankenheimer eschewed traditional special
effects and mad-scientist cliches. Back in the old days, they used to have
things called "scripts."

Just one of many increasingly frequent examples of how B5 is getting
recognition of the type Star Trek has had for many years.

 #: 693590 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Aug-97  21:20:22
Sb: #693585-Bruce on Claudia
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Huh...I totally missed that one...thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 693676 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Aug-97  15:52:30
Sb: #693632-Scripts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Am I out of touch, but doesn't the Basic Agreement with the Guild give the
writer the exclusive to sell the physical copies of the work?  Or is that
something that died with the Strike of '61?"

      Yes and no.  For instance...my script for "The Coming of Shadows" is
being published in the UK by Boxtree, and subsequently in the US.  There is no
ancillary payment for this other than the general licensing fee that goes
against the overall merchandising revenue stream.  (Showbiz talk, folks, pay no
attention.)  So I don't get any kind of royalty on the script book per se at
all.  I called the WGA, and this is entirely within their purview.  Also, Fox
is selling X-Files scripts by their writers, and I believe the arrangement is
the same, or close to it.

                                                                    jms

   offered to Catherine Oxenberg?" ]

 #: 693677 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Aug-97  15:52:33
Sb: #693618-Claudia's replacement
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No; we're still in the process of casting, and no offer has been put
forth yet.