JMS on CompuServe (Aug 24, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Aug 24 04:53:35 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #694622-B5 TV Guide
    Sb: #694959-B5 sims
    Sb: #694981-#To Kill a Cow?
    Sb: #695040-The Gathering done?
    Sb: #695062-#B5 sims
    Sb: #695079-B5 TV Guide

 #: 694622 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    20-Aug-97  20:19:58
Sb: #B5 TV Guide
Fm: RICK COREY /NY

  [Reply to #689779, which is not on the board]

I've got a copy of that TV God, but it has a water stain on one page of the B5
article.  You're welcome to it if you get no better offers.

Just be warned: there be spoilers.

What puzzles me is that Joe said even before it hit the stands that I should
buy two copies, "trust me".  How the heck did he know that I was going to get
water stains on my first copy?

Minister of the Cathode Ray

 #: 695039 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-Aug-97  15:09:04
Sb: #694622-B5 TV Guide
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, the B5 cover has become an instant collector's item, selling
for anywhere from $20-50 in some places, and more overseas, so those who bought
multiple copies now have a good little investment on their hands.

    22-Aug-97  09:06:39
Sb: #B5 sims
Fm: JOEL  ARAUJO

Wait a minute let me get this strait

It is not a against copyrights to post everything and anything about the series
on any given website but it is totally agaisnt copyrights to host a sim?

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?

Joel Araujo

 #: 695042 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Aug-97  15:19:40
Sb: #694959-B5 sims
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Because posting material already existant about a show is one thing (and
WB requires that the proper copyright be appended to all such web sites in any
event).  A different situation is a sim, which *uses* copyrighted characters
and situations, creating a *game* which is not licensed, which also results in
*story material* that also infringes on the copyright and could create further
complications.

    22-Aug-97  11:21:28
Sb: #To Kill a Cow?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hey, Joe;

    I'm introducing a friend of mine to Babylon 5 by giving him batches of the
episodes, in order.  He's up to "The Quality of Mercy," and he had an idea
about the alien machine that I don't remember reading on the Net.

    Since the machine obviously works on alien life, why wouldn't it work on,
say, cattle?  Why couldn't some sort of animal raised for food (such as cattle)
be used on the "killing" end to save (or at least help) a dying patient?  I
mean, the animal would be killed anyway for its meat, so why not?  :-)

    (I realize that the machine raises all sorts of ethical and moral questions
and can be used for evil if in the wrong hands, so Franklin/Sheridan would
never let others know about it, but I had to ask if this sort of scenario would
be possible.  Would it?)

    And, BTW, how's Captain Freakdaddy doing now that filming has started
again?

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 695043 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Aug-97  15:19:41
Sb: #694981-#To Kill a Cow?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I think that one could argue that the life force of a sentient creature
is considerably different from that of a cow or dog...unless one wanted one's
loved one to start moo'ing....

    22-Aug-97  15:11:53
Sb: #694868-#The Gathering done?
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

But has it been rescored, as it has been re-edited, in preparation of a late
commissioning?
If not, might it be?   It'll help us in asking TNT to commission it (nicely).
BTW, is the price tag still around the previously mentioned $150K?  I assume a
little under, since you've always gone under bufget.

Thanks,
KpK

 #: 695051 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-Aug-97  17:29:02
Sb: #695040-The Gathering done?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, the re-editing has not been completed; the editors jumped in and
did some of it, based on my notes, in their spare time, because they want to
see it done, but the actual sitting-with-the-editors-and-slogging-through-it
that John and I do is yet to be done, and that's where the main part of the
work happens.

    22-Aug-97  19:15:26
Sb: #695042-#B5 sims
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <A different situation is a sim, which *uses* copyrighted characters
and situations, creating a *game* which is not licensed, which also results in
*story material* that also infringes on the copyright and could create further
complications.>

        Here's a twist for you.  What about hosting an RPG using a website AND
using the properly licensed RPG The Babylon Project?  Wouldn't that be seen as
a proper use of the game?  Or, does the fact that it's on the Web mean you're
publishing a new story?  What a tangled Web we weave.<G>

                                                Tom^^^^

 #: 695088 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-Aug-97  03:15:47
Sb: #695062-#B5 sims
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"What about hosting an RPG using a website AND using the properly licensed RPG
The Babylon Project?  Wouldn't that be seen as a proper use of the game?"

      My guess is that yes, that would be kosher...but then, I ain't a lawyer
and am basically pulling that answer out of my butt....

    22-Aug-97  23:20:15
Sb: #695039-#B5 TV Guide
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>> Actually, the B5 cover has become an instant collector's item, selling for
anywhere from $20-50 in some places, and more overseas, so those who bought
multiple copies now have a good little investment on their hands. <<

"Pull the other one, it's got bells on"

You *are* joking, right?

Heck, and I was keeping it in good condition to avoid the spoilers <g>

    23-Aug-97  22:42:18
Sb: #695079-B5 TV Guide
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope, quite true.