ATTN JMS: Only on Babylon 5 . . . (no ITF spoilers)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat Feb 8 06:10:24 EST 1997

Subject: ATTN JMS: Only on Babylon 5 . . . (no ITF spoilers)
s  1: Feb  6, 1997: Brent Schmidt <TVsBrent at MCS.COM>
*  2: Feb  7, 1997: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: Brent Schmidt <TVsBrent at MCS.COM>

Only on Babylon 5 would an episode like "Into the Fire" not be a
series finale.  It's not even a season finale.  It's an episode
somewhere in the beginning of a season.  Heck, the beginning sequence of
the episode would have been the end on most SF shows.  Geez, you're
either a genius or insane.  Probably both, eh?
  Now, typically I don't gush, I figure you don't like it too much, but
I've got to on this one:  That was an astounding piece of work there, my
man.  This show is definitely the "Star Wars" of television, perhaps
even bigger than that in some ways.
  Now, a couple of questions, if I may, regarding the episode:

  1.) The CGI was excellent and seemed very different than in previous
episodes, much larger, better defined, darker.  Was this an effort on
your part, or the post-production department?

  2.) Have you found some way to slow down time or compress the episode
into a shorter span?  When I finished this one, I swore I had watched a
two hour movie.

  3.) Any reaction from the actor or staff on this one?  Especially, Ed
Wassner? (Might be a bit of spoilers in the answer to this one)
 Docking Bay 13 - http://www.mcs.net/~tvsbrent/
Brent Schmidt                   TVsBrent at MCS.COM

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

 1.) The CGI was excellent and seemed very different than in previous
episodes, much larger, better defined, darker.  Was this an effort on
your part, or the post-production department?

We're trying some new rendering techniques...I think they're working very
well.  (Some of the stuff in the next episode has a very realistic feel to
it.)

  2.) Have you found some way to slow down time or compress the episode
into a shorter span?  When I finished this one, I swore I had watched a
two hour movie.

You did.  We arranged for a time dilation bubble to appear over your
house.

  3.) Any reaction from the actor or staff on this one?  Especially, Ed
Wassner? (Might be a bit of spoilers in the answer to this one)

Ed wants to come back as an alien.  I see no problem with this.