JMS on CompuServe (Feb 20, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Feb 20 22:06:51 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #649565-Barometer
    Sb: #649549-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
    Sb: #649860-Crusade

 #: 649565 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Feb-97  23:36:43
Sb: #Barometer
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hello, Joe:

    It's been a while since we got a general barometer reading from you.

    How's the production coming along?  What script are you up to in writing
and which are they currently filming?

    And, most importantly, how are *you* doing thesedays?

  -- Brent

 #: 649787 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Feb-97  20:31:55
Sb: #649565-Barometer
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Production's coming along spiffily.  We're currently working with our
guest star Efram Zimbalist Jr., who is going to be in 2 episodes.

      I'm getting along as well as can be expected under the circumstances, and
a few thousand pressures....

    18-Feb-97  22:15:03
Sb: #648493-#<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: RICHARD M. PERRY

<<  Megacon in Florida would be the next biggie.  I'll be at that one in
Orlando March 15th and 16th. >>

        Oh goodie, I just convinced my boss that he should let me have that
weekend off so I could go. I'll be sure to remind you, if no one else does
before I get a chance. <G> Anyway, I would have thought that Necronomicon
taught you that you really can tell the same exact stories endlessly. Your
focus group of the living dead story is about the best example of this I've
seen. I first read it here two years ago and am still amazed at just how many
people haven't noticed that of the three times you've told it since, the object
thrown at the two way glass went from being a pencil, to a carrot, to just
whatever was in my hand at the time. I guess we just like bedtime stories with
Joe Straczynski. <G>

<<  That Starlog has an anti-B5 bias has always been evident, and has covered
us only reluctantly covered us.  There is a convention listing page in the
current issue>>

        This would of course be their Star Wars 20th aniv issue. One of these
days Starlog will wake up and realize that Voyager isn't the best thing to ever
come from Paramount and wear the Star Trek label. Here they have this big SW
issue about the special edition and they make no mention of the fact that half
of the Biggs footage was restored, the latter part in the hangar but not the
Tattooine scene.

        On a related note, have you seen the latest issue of Sci-Fi Invasion?
(The one with Boba Fett on the cover and your interview in it.) I think they
did a good job with it.
        Anyway, in it they have an article about DS9 and one of the quotes they
chose to highlight, well let's just say someone there (at DS9) doesn't like
you. They quote a Mr. Hans Biemler, the supervising producer, as saying;
"Anybody who makes the claim that they have the next five years planned out in
detail is either full of it, or is limiting the series to his or her own very
small imagination."
        Needless to say this caught my eye, so I read the entire article so I
could get it in the right context, I mean no one would be that bold, right?
Wrong. The guy is an idiot, as his whole interview clearly shows. (I think
maybe he belongs to the Stathis family, that's how good comes off as being. He
thinks they have real character growth because of all the action, but then they
can pull off the "two people in a room talking" thing too.)
        In blaring contrast though, they also have your comments regarding DS9
and Voyager and there is not one single personally derogatory remark made
toward the shows or the writers, just the one line about Paramount being
heavy-handed about limiting what the writers on Voyager can do with the show. I
mean you even had your chance to really criticize DS9 but you were smart and
declined the privlidge. For this reason (and many others) you have my respect
and oddly enough the respect of everyone else involved with either show except
for certain Paramount producers.
        If you haven't seen it yet or just don't have time to try to get one
let me know and I'll pick up a copy for you and give it to you in Orlando. They
even have some good SW stuff in it, like the "Top ten no-nos when dealing with
Darth Vader" and some comedy tid-bits like blow to blow description of what
would happen in B5-vs-DS9 or Vader-vs-Spock, verrry funny those are.
        Ooops almost forgot, that bust of G'kar looks really coooool.

 #: 649788 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Feb-97  20:31:57
Sb: #649549-<<ITF>>  Frying Pan...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      So by Hans logic, any series of novels, like the Dune books or anything
else, is "limited by the imagination" of the person responsible, and thus
flawed...or Herbert was just full of it...same for Tolkein, Clarke, Asimov,
Smith and others.

      I think this is what's called a classic case of projection.

                                                                    jms

   only on TNT in North America. ]

 #: 649909 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    20-Feb-97  12:20:35
Sb: #649860-Crusade
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I imagine that the TNT movies will be made available internationally, as
that's how they'll make money off them.