JMS on CompuServe (Feb 22, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat Feb 22 15:48:26 EST 1997

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #649807-#<IoT: co-conspirators>
    Sb: #650113-The doctor's eyes
    Sb: #650129-B5 Backlash
    Sb: #650245-<IoT: co-conspirators>

 #: 649807 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    19-Feb-97  23:15:39
Sb: #<IoT: co-conspirators>
Fm: CHERNS MAJOR

A couple of familiar names among the co-conspirators, although I have to admit
that I didn't recognize the first one.

As it happens, last week I pulled Dalton Trumbo's _Additional Dialog_ from the
shelves and flipped through it again (I thought that the very bitter letter to
the unnamed "friendly" witness might be related to the one apparently discussed
by Harlan Ellison on some tv show)--what fun!  I haven't seen the full show yet
(taping it to see with my girlfriend), but looks great, and, of course, has
strong echoes to not-so-long-ago events in several countries. Many thanks.
--Howard

 #: 650014 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    20-Feb-97  21:29:26
Sb: #649807-#<IoT: co-conspirators>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Parks (the person who's naming names) was also named after one of those
who testified before HUAC.

    21-Feb-97  10:27:34
Sb: #The doctor's eyes
Fm: MARTE BRENGLE

Henry Darrow has been one of my favorite character actors since he starred
opposite David Janssen in "Harry O," so I was delighted to see him appear in
B5.

But as I watched him, it was obvious (to me at least) that he was reading his
lines from something off screen.  My immediate thought was that this was done
deliberately, a very subtle clue that the doctor was reading from a script and
nowhere near an independent expert.

Is this what was intended?

                                                --M--

 #: 650130 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    21-Feb-97  11:46:10
Sb: #650113-The doctor's eyes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, no, he wasn't reading off a teleprompter at all.  His eyes may
have been moving, but there was no reading involved.

                                                                       jms

 #: 650129 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    21-Feb-97  11:45:35
Sb: #B5 Backlash
Fm: COLIN HEAPS

Hi Y'all...

Just been reading this months SFX over here in old blighty..
They are talking about a B5 backlash, one of the editorial team reckons that
Marcus Cole alone should be reason to start one <g>.
Some chap writes up, slagging B5 off, saying how JMS is a crap writer, (I mean,
he's got a point hasn't he - only came up with the whole idea, wrote most of
the scripts, controls all, planning movies and spin-off series). Naturally,
anyone who can get all that on TV must be a bad writer - stands to reason!

Right, now I'll tell you why I am *not* pissed off about this.
If B5 is up for a backalsh - it must mean it has become too popular,   let me
explain....
Over here, what we can't abide, is anyone who is a success - it seems to stick
in our throats, don't know why, but as long as you are struggling, you're okay.
As soon as you become popular, everyone gets the big guns out, maybe people
feel threatened, I don't know.

After all, here's this guy, does practically everything, does this big SF
series cheaper than anyone else, won't fit into our pre-conceptions and what's
worse, the series requires the audience to think, can't have that now !!

This is all to me a very good thing,  next thing you know, It'll start getting
bad reviews from Barry Norman - then you know you've really arrived <bg>.
It ain't Trek, it isn't the all new glossy X-files, in other words it ain't a
"socially recognised" series.  I guess that's why people I talk to don't get
Xena or Hercules as well, these are played as is - take it or leave it.  We
don't seem to understand that here.

So I say - let's hear it for more slating of B5, after all - they reckon there
is no such thing as bad publicity,  more people may end up watching - just to
see what the fuss is about!!!

What say you all???

 #: 650256 S8/Babylon 5: Social
    21-Feb-97  22:33:45
Sb: #650129-B5 Backlash
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      a) One letter writer does not a backlash make.

      b) How can we have a backlash when we've never even had a frontlash?

                                                                    jms

   Illusion of Truth."  Also asks who thought of the ending. ]

 #: 650257 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    21-Feb-97  22:36:53
Sb: #650245-<IoT: co-conspirators>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Stephen has directed before, yes, though he hasn't done that much
episodic TV work.

      The final shot was strictly described in the script; the monitor POV, the
relative positions of everyone, the slight fisheye look and the absolute
silence.