JMS on CompuServe (May 13, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue May 13 15:04:42 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #667796-Season finale
    Sb: #667755-#Whadda ya say, Joe?
    Sb: #667856-S5-not renewal ?
    Sb: #668115-Babylon 5 Autographs
    Sb: #668146-What qualifies for sign
    Sb: #668134-#<Conflicts of Interest >
    Sb: #668000-<Conflicts of Interest >
    Sb: #668121-#<Daffy!>
    Sb: #668661-S5-not renewal ?
    Sb: #668666-<Conflicts of Interest >

 #: 668445 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-May-97  01:30:54
Sb: #667796-Season finale
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nothing has been decided yet.

    08-May-97  20:29:05
Sb: #Whadda ya say, Joe?
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Howdy, Joe;

    Well . . . It's probably over now.  Are you still alive?

    How did it go?  Did you remember to say, "Cut!"?  :-)

    I'm sincerely curious about how you found the experience of directing your
baby -- of being responsible for creating, writing, producing *and* directing
it.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 668448 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-May-97  01:31:00
Sb: #667755-#Whadda ya say, Joe?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"I'm sincerely curious about how you found the experience of directing your
baby -- of being responsible for creating, writing, producing *and* directing
it."

      My main goal was not to embarrass myself overmuch.  I think I came out
okay.  I've now seen an editor's assembly of the material, and it plays real
nice.  Now I get to go in and make the director's cut, which will to all
intents and purposes also stand as the producer's cut.

      The main thing is...this one is *exactly* the way I saw it in my head. It
has a somewhat different feel than prior episodes, though hard to quantify.
But I think it came out nicely.

    09-May-97  08:20:06
Sb: #S5-not renewal ?
Fm: CATHERINE BECIC

Another variation on the Season 5 question.
Now that you have finished filming the final episode, my concerns/questions
are:

You have spent the last 4 years keeping your actors in the dark as to their
final fates (for the most part).  Will their knowledge of the ending have
adverse effects on the acting from this point forward?  I expect the answer is
they are good at their jobs and will continue to be outstanding in their
performances, but many of them have mentioned that the lack of knowledge of
their future had  played a part in their performances.

Also, if you've neatly tied everything up, what does that really leave for
season 5?  Filler, non-arc stories?  This has been my biggest fear.  That
season 5 will now be farmed out to other scriptwriters, who don't have the
intimacy with the story that you have, and that the quality of stories will
take a nose dive with filler material.

Thanks for your time,
Catherine Becic

 #: 668449 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-May-97  01:31:03
Sb: #667856-S5-not renewal ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"You have spent the last 4 years keeping your actors in the dark as to their
final fates (for the most part).  Will their knowledge of the ending have
adverse effects on the acting from this point forward?  I expect the answer is
they are good at their jobs and will continue to be outstanding in their
performances, but many of them have mentioned that the lack of knowledge of
their future had  played a part in their performances."

      Not really, no more so than seeing G'Kar and Londo strangling each other
as early as year one...but we didn't know what that *meant* until later.  And
there's still a long, long way between that episode and where we leave off at
421.  A lot happens there that nobody else knows, inclusive of the cast.

"Also, if you've neatly tied everything up, what does that really leave for
season 5?  Filler, non-arc stories?  This has been my biggest fear.  That
season 5 will now be farmed out to other scriptwriters, who don't have the
intimacy with the story that you have, and that the quality of stories will
take a nose dive with filler material."

      Without giving too much away, season 5 would be empire building.  It
wouldn't be filler at all, but a logical extension of what has gone before.

      Basically...I often get messages from people worrying about what might
be...then they see what *is* and it's, "Oh...okay, got it."  Generally
speaking, I think it's better to react to what is rather than what might never
in fact be an issue.  I ain't let you down yet....

                                                                    jms

   on "The Official Claudia Christian Web Page" is legitimate. ]

 #: 668450 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-May-97  01:31:07
Sb: #668115-Babylon 5 Autographs
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know if the Claudia deal is correct, but I'd assume it is since I
believe the page operates with her blessings.

    10-May-97  21:16:30
Sb: #What qualifies for sign
Fm: HERBIE

Hello

I have a bit of a dilemma.  I got a T-shirt from a friend that has B5 artwork
on it.  I'm going to Wolf in July and would like to collect signatures on it.
The snag is that he did the drawings and made exactly 2 shirts one, for each of
us.  I'm not sure where in the spectrum of "merchandise" it would be placed.
Would you consider it to be 'signable' or not?  I'd like to know before I get
into the autograph lines at Wolf, as that would be rather embarrassing.

Thanks and 'Bye for now
Herbie

 #: 668451 S5/Babylon 5: General
    12-May-97  01:31:08
Sb: #668146-What qualifies for sign
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's only a problem if the item is mass produced and sold.

                                                                    jms

   producer, Tracy Torme. ]

 #: 668452 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    12-May-97  01:31:10
Sb: #668134-#<Conflicts of Interest >
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Funny thing...was returning from Marcon and on the plane was me, Tracy
Torme (Sliders) and Bryce Zabel (Dark Skies).  I noted as we took off that if
the plane went down, the SFTV universe would be ceded to Piller and Carter by
default.

                                                                    jms

   of Interest." ]

 #: 668453 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    12-May-97  01:31:13
Sb: #668000-<Conflicts of Interest >
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As we'll learn shortly, he doesn't want his face seen around.

      But we'll see him soon enough.

      (And the voice belongs to Efram Zimbalist Jr.)

                                                                    jms

   recap-type episodesm, which this user refers to as "save budget" episodes.
   Also asks why that particular Daffy Duck cartoon was selected in
   "Conflicts of Interest." ]

 #: 668454 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    12-May-97  01:31:15
Sb: #668121-#<Daffy!>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, no "save budgets" episodes using Vor are planned...besides, they
always end up being more expensive anyway....

      Re: Daffy...I knew that cartoon, and had that definitely in mind when I
wrote the script.  Took some maneuvering to get WB to let us use that much of
it.

    12-May-97  21:43:24
Sb: #668449-#S5-not renewal ?
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

>>  Without giving too much away, season 5 would be empire building.  It
wouldn't be filler at all, but a logical extension of what has gone before.<<

And, should there not be a season 5, this would go into the spinoff?

Kaiser Rowan

 #: 668691 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-May-97  01:53:28
Sb: #668661-S5-not renewal ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      In large part, yeah....

    12-May-97  21:46:55
Sb: #668452-#<Conflicts of Interest >
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

Yikes.

So did you compare notes with Torme and Zabel?

        Rae ^^^^

 #: 668692 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    13-May-97  01:53:30
Sb: #668666-<Conflicts of Interest >
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      A little, yeah, and found that our experiences weren't that far apart,
particularly Bryce, who struck me as a very nice fellow indeed.