JMS on CompuServe (May 23, 1997) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sat May 24 01:15:50 EDT 1997

   ftp://ftp.johndelenn.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/

    Sb: #671124-##422
    Sb: #671107-#<<<Moments>>>
    Sb: #671145-Harlan's Intro on PI
    Sb: #671202-#422
    Sb: #671399-<MOMENTS>
    Sb: #671402-<<<Moments>>>
    Sb: #671410-Season 5
    Sb: #671415-Audio
    Sb: #671416-#Rebo and Zooty
    Sb: #671420-<Moments>: Bester

 #: 671124 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-May-97  19:50:55
Sb: #671022-##422
Fm: PHYLLIS SCHMULENSON

Are any TV exec. the slightest bit interested in the content and development of
the art forms they are broadcasting -or would they be just as happy with hours
of Mickie Mouse cartoons every night if sponsers would pay for it? Do they ever
watch the shows or have any concepts to contribute?
Phyl

 #: 671148 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-May-97  21:04:34
Sb: #671124-##422
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They want the money from the commercials, and whatever sells commercials
is fine by them.

    22-May-97  18:15:34
Sb: #<<<Moments>>>
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Joe,

        You weren't kiddin'.  Mira was ---- amazing.   There's not much more to
say about it.  You were sooooo right about the truth she brings to the role,
especially now.  The hair on me neck stood up.

        Neroon was interesting.  I was more surprised by his apparent betrayal
of Delenn than his final act.   A true warrior's death, not the phony 'courage'
of his leader.

        Speaking of which - was that the same fellow who played Dukat?  IF it
wasn't, he sure resembled him.  If it was - quite a piece of ironic casting.

        Sheridan was scary there at the end - I was wondering when he was going
to once again kick butt and take names.  Ivanova's whirlwind entry was one of
those "Will you please slow down long enough to tell me why you are ticked?",
and when she did....grrrrrrrrrrrr.

        I am skipping around all over the place, I know.  This ep was intense -
I am glad I have something going on to burn off the agitation this one left.
<G>  Wanna move across town in one weekend?

        Garibaldi - There's one worthy I am ready to throttle.  What happened
to his backbone?  As for him being under Bester's control - thought that might
be the case.  I wouldn't want to be Bester when Garibaldi finds out, tho.

        As for what you did to Lyta - Joe, that was DIRTY.  I just hope this
sets her up to settle some scores.  Otherwise.......man, that is COLD.

        There it is - the gamut of emotions - sorrow, anger, fear, annoyance -
you done it again!

Di Conlin, Minister of Paranoid Development & Personality Reconstruction, RMES
Wielder of the Lesser Salmon of Discipline, TUS Subversive in Training
PURPLE!!!

 #: 671149 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    22-May-97  21:04:36
Sb: #671107-#<<<Moments>>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, on all counts...and no, that was a different actor than the one
who played Dukhat.  Starting from this episode the intensity builds and never
lets up for the rest of the season.

    22-May-97  21:02:36
Sb: #Harlan's Intro on PI
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

JMS -

So, one of Harlan's new books is "Babylon 5 Slippage," is it? <g>  I must admit
that Maher's statement to that effect had me checking the last month's worth of
New York Times Book Reviews and then checking amazon.com's listings.

At least it was a nicely subversive way to get the show some public mention.
Excelsior.

-rje-

 #: 671200 S5/Babylon 5: General
    22-May-97  23:03:11
Sb: #671145-Harlan's Intro on PI
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was an "oops."

    22-May-97  23:04:57
Sb: #671148-##422
Fm: CARL CANTARELLA

>>They want the money from the commercials, and whatever sells commercials is
fine by them.<<

                LOL!!
                Curious question:  How much more difficult is it tackling
things from syndication at the very onset as opposed to going the network
route? From  what I understand about the television medium, the way it worked
just four or five years ago --granted, now outdated-- producers of network
programs produced there shows at an overall loss in revenue per episode very
often, banking primarily on later sales for syndication rights by various
stations around the country. A famous example, as you probably know, is the
defunct "AirWolf" series, which lost money consistently, and then went the
syndication route briefly in first-run production after changing both cast
stars in order to cut the above board costs. However, on the other side of the
coin stands "Star Trek: TNG," which made large amounts of money in first-run
syndication. It's a confusing business the one you're in, and sometimes I
wonder where the brilliance, if any, lies in all the madness and conflicting
logistical aspects of getting things done from the ground on up. The script
process can be a relative joke, and then the money trail can be even funnier
when you look at what's being bankrolled, at what expense, and for what
qualitative output as far as entertainment value goes.
        I don't know, perhaps you can shed some light on this, though you'll
likely also have me scratching my head all the more because of the true
stupidity beneath it all.  <g>      ;-)

 #: 671226 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-May-97  02:27:58
Sb: #671202-#422
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Carl...it's a crap shoot.  There ain't no logic to explain.  It's a mug's
game, and the rules and the money changes day to day, and I can't figure it out
on the best of days.

    23-May-97  14:34:00
Sb: #<MOMENTS>
Fm: JONATHAN KASS

Great Episode!

FIRST A QUESTION I HOPE YOU CAN ANSWER - Was / Is there something wrong with
Walter Koenig?  Couldn't help noticing it looked like his left hand was stuck
in a fist the whole time - he did a nice job trying to cover, but when he
fumbled with the "power of attorney", I noticed it - and then noticed we didn't
see much of that arm in any other shot... hope he's okay, still a big fan from
ST days who's among those impressed with his work here!

 I loved the whole thing, it really clicked along so well... (I never doubted
Neroon, so I really enjoyed watching his boss blather on with his amoral views
on war, death, etc, knowing Neroon had really "evolved" beyond that kind of
thinking - you and the actor really created a memorable character there)...

Especially loved the confrontation sequence at the "surrender" - what a truly
fantastic setting, filled with Shakespearean(?) tragedy and history and a
wonderful "tradition" predating Valen (up till this point, you'd think Valen
created everything they had - it was nice to see something of their world
pre-Valen).  And Neroon's sacrifice at the end and his final speech -
perfect...

Bester - guess we finally start to see the answer to the question "who's
running Garibaldi" - guess the next will be "why" (or at least for what
specific mission; the why I believe will also involve a little payback just for
spite...);  He really did have a good day; on one level, couldn't believe Lyta
would sign that thing (how long would it take for Bester to make it look like
she had a heart attack?)...

ANOTHER QUESTION - some of us knuckleheads have been off arguing over who is /
was Control - was Control Talia?  Was that established?  Or is there still
another "traitor" in their midst?

Oh and did you hear / would you believe the voice-over teaser right before the
episode started in LA said "Delenn surrenders to the Warrior Caste, and
Sheridan declares war on Earth"????  Spent the whole episode waiting for that
Sheridan scene at the end :-<>

Jonathan

 #: 671428 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    23-May-97  16:30:51
Sb: #671399-<MOMENTS>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  As for Walter...he made the decision to play Bester with a
deformed or useless hand, which he's compensating for as a teep.

    23-May-97  14:59:38
Sb: #671149-#<<<Moments>>>
Fm: S.G. MENZEL

Is it possible that Reiner Shone was formerly known as Reiner Schone (and even
before that as Reiner Schone)?

Is he the german actor, who - among other things - has played an alien named
Esoqq in an episode of "Star Trek - The Next Generation" entitled "Allegiance".
Under all that makeup it is really hard to tell and I had the impression that
Dukhat was speaking with a SLIGHT german accent....

A wonderful episode!

SGM

 #: 671429 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    23-May-97  16:30:52
Sb: #671402-<<<Moments>>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Have no idea offhand.

    23-May-97  15:20:07
Sb: #Season 5
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

I've read your comments about how if there is a season 5 then 422 becomes 522,
etc. and got all that, thanks.  I would guess that as season 4 has wrapped up
you would be hard pressed to get a new episode 422 out in time for October,
perhaps earlier for airing in the UK.  So have you already written that
episode?

Doug

 #: 671430 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-May-97  16:30:53
Sb: #671410-Season 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, 501 isn't written yet, won't be until we get the final word.  We
could certainly get it finished in time for the US airing in 422's spot, and as
for getting it done in the UK, assuming a mid-July start for season 4, means
you'd run episodes through late October/early November so again you're okay.

    23-May-97  15:22:19
Sb: #Audio
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

I receive Babylon 5 two different ways.  I get it locally over the air, and
also via Dish Network on WSBK in Boston.  I have noticed really poor audio,
phasing in and out, on both stations.  I don't think it's the stations so
perhaps the problem comes from your end?

Doug

 #: 671431 S5/Babylon 5: General
    23-May-97  16:30:54
Sb: #671415-Audio
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, it's the new satellite uplink facility WB is using, which is analog
rather than digital, which was the case in the past.

    23-May-97  15:24:23
Sb: #Rebo and Zooty
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

If all broadcasts are being jammed to B5 except ISN, how could everyone have
seen the Rebo and Zooty episode that Londo was talking about in RB&L?

Doug "Zooty, Zoot Zoot"

 #: 671432 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    23-May-97  16:30:56
Sb: #671416-#Rebo and Zooty
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Easy.  The incident Londo is mentioning happened prior to the blackout.
He never said it *just* happened, he said the *last* time Rebo and Zooty did
their routine, everybody was doing it.

                                                                       jms

   that Garilbaldi is hiring Lyta, having gotten that information from his
   mind?" ]

 #: 671433 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    23-May-97  16:30:59
Sb: #671420-<Moments>: Bester