ATTN JMS: Bruce B and Cast Turmoil?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 2 06:27:43 EST 1998

From: ksdavis at fas.harvard.edu (Kevin Davis)
Date: 1 Apr 1998 19:03:24 -0700

Joe:

I just read an excerpt from Melissa Gilbert's chat last night on AOL's
Eclipse Cafe, where she claims that the entire cast of B5 was "let go"
because TNT "wants a whole new show" [i.e., Crusade].  The posting made it
appear that Bruce Boxleitner was none too happy that he didn't have the
opportunity to continue on into the spinoff.

Now, this makes perfect sense to *me*; I mean, Aeneas's story ends when he
kills Turnus, and it wouldn't make any sense to show him hanging around
with Ascanius and Lavinia -- the epic, and his role in it, are finished.
Ditto, it seems to me, for Sheridan: his character has been well-developed,
and has played his role in the events in the B5 universe, now it's time for
him to move off the stage.

What I'm wondering is, what's going on with this?  Is this [i.e., the new
storyline and Sheridan's "end" in the B5 universe's plot] the reason why
Sheridan/Bruce B. will not be moving into Crusade?  If so, why is he taking
this so personally, so hard? From his wife's post to the Cafe, it seems as
if he sees this as a firing, not what it is -- the ending of one show and
the beginning of another, and the necessary cast changes that come about
when the dramatis personae change.  I would just, as a fan of B5, hate to
see a rift occur among the cast and among the fans like the one that
happened after CC's departure from the show.  Is there any way to
ameliorate what looks to be a rather serious level of bitterness from
Bruce?  And would this affect his availability for any feature-length film
or future telefilms?

I also understand if you can't or won't comment on this right now, since it
may be a rather difficult subject best left out of fandom.

				      |	-- Kevin Davis         <*>  |
				      |    ksdavis at fas.harvard.edu  |