ATTN JMS: Thanks again for setting the example

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 28 06:06:05 EDT 1998

From: "SHRIKE" <shrike2000 at hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Aug 1998 18:18:45 -0600

I wrote a while back about how you set the example for consistency and how
I've tried to apply that principle in my own life.  Just in the last couple
of days, I got the chance to apply other things I've learned from you... I
just didn't realize it at the time.

I've got a diary on my website (www.flash.net/~billrehm) where mostly I just
talk about my day-to-day activities.  Occasionally, though, I'll address
some more sensitive issues.  The other day I expressed some of my opinions
on Bill Clinton's personal problems and invoked the wrath of some unnamed
person.  I got several nasty flames from him, anonymously, of course.

I won't bore you with the details... you can read my diary if you like.
What happened was I not only got him to publicly apologize under his own
name, but this person gained respect for me and was no longer an enemy of
mine.

At the time, I thought that the amazing (to me) replies I was coming up with
were my invention.  As I look back, I can tell that it was all inspired by
you.  Hell, it seems like they were written by you in a way!  Almost like I
took JMS's class on how to deal with people!.  Really, over the past several
years I've read all your messages and I've seen how you deal with flamers
and other nasty people.  I've been very impressed with how you approach
those situations and always hoped that I'd be able to command a situation
like you do.  I guess that's like taking a class... I am so grateful for
your influence because my gut reaction would have been to fight fire with
fire when all I needed to do was what I did.

It's amazing that you've not only given us all the greatest TV series ever,
but in my case you've actually improved my ability to deal with others.
That's something I could have only gotten from your active participation in
the newsgroups and I thank you for sticking around as long as you have.

Bill