JMS on CompuServe (Jan 15, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at speedlink.com bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Jan 15 22:11:45 EST 1998

    Sb: #14862-Status check?
    Sb: #15012-#Starfury Question
    Sb: #14983-<Season 5 Intro>

 #: 14862 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Jan-98  01:13:14
Sb: #9159-#Status check?
Fm: GARDNER L. HARRIS

Joe, I caught Bruce on Fox News Channel this AM via the internet (since DISH
doesn't carry that channel), and Katherine Crier conducted a very nice
interview with him for a segment of the show.

She's apparently a fan also but what I didn't know was that Bruce and the NASA
people seem to be mutual fans and that Bruce is a firm believer that we aren't
alone.

It's very refreshing to see that an actor is that forward thinking and is in
fact a sci-fi fan too.  I have been disappointed several times to find that
the Trek actors, most of whom I am very fond are for the most part either non
believers or simply not interested in the genre.

I have generally been more impressed with the Voyager crew than I was with the
Enterprise-D folk in that respect.  As actors TNG's talent did a wonderful job
but Patrick Stewart really surprised me when he said that Sci-Fi in general
held little interest for him.

Unfortunately I never got to talk to Brent or Jon beyond saying hello and
those were the three with who I had any personal contact at all when they
presented EGBDF here in Garden Grove several years ago.

Your people seem totally the opposite and appear to have a keen interest, not
just in the job but in the overall SF field.

Take care - GardnerH

  -Gardner L. Harris

 #: 14907 S2/Bab 5: General
    14-Jan-98  12:36:08
Sb: #14862-Status check?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, Bruce is definitely an SF fan.  He tends to show up every so often
at a couple of SF bookstores here in LA, startling the hell out of everybody,
picking up the latest stuff.  And he and Jerry have built up a great working
relationship with NASA, having gone out to the Cape to watch several launches
and help promote the space program on their own time.

                                                                    jms

   are what look to be intake/outflow vents.  On the model these are open
   all the way through the width of the wing leaving little tunnels.
   Should those be open all the way through, or should the be closed off
   partially through the tunnel?" ]

 #: 15042 S2/Bab 5: General
    15-Jan-98  11:47:00
Sb: #15012-#Starfury Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Shouldn't really make any difference...you can close 'em if you want,
but it's okay either way.

      Revell did a good job and they were very patient...we kept coming back
to them with corrections, and even when they didn't have to do them, as the
deadline came up, they made the changes anyway.  I can't speak highly enough
of them.

      If you want to own a starfury, folks, now's your chance.

                                                                    jms

 #: 14983 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    14-Jan-98  23:00:04
Sb: #<Season 5 Intro>
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    I loved the new season five intro that TNT posted on their web site
tonight.  Very nice.  It's a sort of series history in a blip that will, I
think, both entince and assist the new viewers of the show, while reminding us
of all we've seen through the last four to five years.  Nicely done.  :-)

    The music is also very different... Not as mysterious as the first season,
or exciting as the second, tense as the third, or militaristic as the fourth.
Very... mellow.  As all the past seasons have really matched their theme music
when seen as a whole, it'll be interesting to see the story that matches this
sound.

    And was that your name I saw painted on the butt of the station as if it
were a great big bumper sticker?  ;-)

  -- Brent

 #: 15043 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    15-Jan-98  11:47:00
Sb: #14983-<Season 5 Intro>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...yeah, this in some ways is my favorite title sequence.  It took
a long time to make it, and it was very difficult to assemble.  Usually I can
design the title sequence on paper, and the working with the editors part
doesn't take that long...here it took a Long Time to painstakingly choose the
images, use counterpoint dialogue, pick the high moments and make it all flow
from one year to the next, sort of a Cliff's Notes version of the history of
the show.  And the music is terrific...very mature, solid sounding.

      As for the back of the station...y'know, those damn taggers are
everywhere, aren't they?