JMS on CompuServe (Mar 24, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Tue Mar 24 15:05:23 EST 1998

    Sb: #25239-Extended Thanks
    Sb: #25234-Congratulations
    Sb: #25235-#Season 5 in UK?
    Sb: #25358-casting minor characters
    Sb: #25394-Season 6?
    Sb: #25409-PPG Prop Gun
    Sb: #25306-Severed Dreams
    Sb: #25474-Lyta/Mars Rebs mistake?
    Sb: #25290-#Corrupting the kiddies
    Sb: #25503-Script Standards?

 #: 25239 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  07:04:06
Sb: #24920-Extended Thanks
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

>From all of us,

A huge thank you to Kathryn, who is wise enough to encourage and share your
dream.

And to you.  You had the dream, and acted on it.

This has been so wonderful.

Anne

 #: 25339 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  21:12:05
Sb: #25239-Extended Thanks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

                                                                    jms

 #: 25234 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  04:59:04
Sb: #25059-Congratulations
Fm: DEONAHA M. CONLIN

Joe,

	Well.  I guess now you get to take that long nap you've mentioned
before.  <g>

	I went from "Oh,yeah, well, if I run across it I'll watch it but I
won't seek it out" to "I'm sorry, I have to leave - B5 is on in an hour."  I
got spoiled.  I came to expect intelligent writing, and gradually started
ignoring programs that weren't.  I got fussy about what I watch.

	It's been one wild ride,  and it's nice to know that we, the fans,
still have 13 (I think) more dips, rolls and turns left.  Thanks for the fun!

	>>  Make the next TV movies, and get going on the next project.<<

	TV, books, play?  <g>   Whatever the next project is,  I wish you the
very best and look forward to whatever it is.

	Please pass along my thanks, appreciation, and best wishes to the cast
and crew and everyoe who made the ride possible.  Not to mention enjoyable.

Di Conlin, TUS , Wielder of the Lesser Salmon of Discipline
Supreme Dominatrix, RMES, your fearless leader
ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dmconlin
#...life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the
fire# (Garth Brooks)

 #: 25340 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  21:12:06
Sb: #25234-Congratulations
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...though there's no nap yet, with what all else needs to get
done.

      It's been a heck of a ride, no mistake.

                                                                    jms

   august in the UK." ]

 #: 25359 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  23:27:04
Sb: #25235-#Season 5 in UK?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Maybe earlier....

                                                                    jms

   speaking roles?" ]

 #: 25360 S2/Bab 5: General
    22-Mar-98  23:30:02
Sb: #25358-casting minor characters
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I'm there for 99% of all auditions; the final decision is mine,
Doug's, John's and the Director's (3 out of 4 is all we need).  Only the
really, really minor characters -- two words, one sentence, that's all -- get
past me.

                                                                    jms

   newsagents today and have noticed that some are refering to
   a season 6 of B5." ]

 #: 25484 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Mar-98  16:58:03
Sb: #25394-Season 6?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, there is no season 6, whatever you may have read in SFX (which also
got the facts wrong with the Caitlin Brown interview).

                                                                    jms

   the PPG prop guns for REAL?" ]

 #: 25485 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Mar-98  16:58:04
Sb: #25409-PPG Prop Gun
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

                                       no.

                                                                    jms

 #: 25341 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    22-Mar-98  21:12:06
Sb: #25306-Severed Dreams
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"Given the amount of lousy TV around, you must be an optimist, since you dug
into the manure and found the pony."

      Damn thing bit me, too....

                                                                    jms

 #: 25474 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    23-Mar-98  15:44:06
Sb: #Lyta/Mars Rebs mistake?
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

	Watching "Divided Loyalties" recently, I think I found a nit to pick.
During season 4, Number One said that Lyta hadn't said anything about being a
teep when she had seen her last.  But in Divided Loyalties, Lyta said she had
been working with the Resistance, saying something along the lines of "people
can always use a good teep."  So if other members of the Resistance knew, why
didn't Number One?  Is there a reason, or was it just an 'oops'?

Mara

 #: 25486 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    23-Mar-98  16:58:04
Sb: #25474-Lyta/Mars Rebs mistake?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Lyta did go through the Resistance, but didn't *tell* them she was a
teep.

                                                                    jms

 #: 25290 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    22-Mar-98  13:57:12
Sb: #Corrupting the kiddies
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

Joe,

Regarding the three- and four-year-olds who have fallen in love with B5:
Every time I come over now, they look to see if I'm carrying a videotape, and
if I am, they start jumping up and down yelling, "New Babylon 5! New Babylon
5!"  They can't wait for Daddy to pop the tape into the VCR.

I don't know what I'm going to tell them when I bring over episode 522...

Heck, I don't know what I'm going to tell >myself< when that happens!

Congratulations on the successful completion of B5.  I've been with you since
"The Gathering"--check that, I've been with you since you were on GEnie
telling us about this neat new SF show that you were bringing us--and although
I am suffering a twinge of disappointment that it's all going to end very
soon, I reiterate my opinion that B5 is not only the best SF ever offered on
television, but one of the best televison series ever.

Hey, it must feel great right about now--wrapping the last episode is the
world's largest thumb-to-the-nose of the naysayers I can think of.  Maybe you
should insert a giant Bronx Cheer into the credits of the last episode. <g>

	Meryl

 #: 25342 S5/Seas. 5 SPOILERS
    22-Mar-98  21:12:06
Sb: #25290-#Corrupting the kiddies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and that's the darndest thing...I never anticipated that kids
that young would get into it.  Or even *get* it.  Who'd'a thunk it?

                                                                    jms

 #: 25503 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Mar-98  19:46:14
Sb: #Script Standards?
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms,

In the script of "The Coming of Shadows" included in your scriptwriting book
there were bits that didn't make it into the final filmed result.
 Do you write a script intentionally just a bit over, since it would be easier
to edit down than to scramble to add the necessary after editing?  If so, have
you ever written a script that came in *exactly* as you wrote it?

-rje-

The best thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in look as much like
home as we can. -- Christopher Fry

 #: 25537 S2/Bab 5: General
    23-Mar-98  22:47:07
Sb: #25503-Script Standards?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      You never know exactly how long it's going to be on film; you ballpark
the page count, and sometimes you come in a bit long, sometimes you come in a
bit short.  We're usually pretty close to time, and only have to do small line
cuts.  Easier to trim than to add after the fact.