JMS on CompuServe (May 12, 1998) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

bbarrett at johndelenn.com bbarrett at johndelenn.com
Tue May 12 23:20:49 EDT 1998

    Sb: #32598-#San Diego Comic-Con?
    Sb: #32632-#Thanks/Regrets
    Sb: #WB Home Video Does B5
    Sb: #32589-New Show
    Sb: #32618-< Kosh Poison>
    Sb: #32863-#CC Debate: Over

 #: 32598 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-May-98  06:56:00
Sb: #32189-San Diego Comic-Con?
Fm: SHANE SHELLENBARGER

Joe, thanks for the reply, although it's not what I wanted to hear. I had
figured you'd be doing a Post-B5, Pre-Crusade presentation that would top all
of your previous shows. While I'll miss your talk, I look forward to your work
on the screen.

Best,
	Shane

 #: 32663 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-May-98  00:48:12
Sb: #32598-#San Diego Comic-Con?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Again, that's not 100% sure yet, it's all kind of in a state of flux.
What's the latest the folks at SDCC would have to know either way on this?

                                                                    jms

 #: 32632 S2/Bab 5: General
    09-May-98  19:11:13
Sb: #Thanks/Regrets
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

Before 'JMS Excellent On-Line Adventure" winds down I just wanted to let you
know how grateful I am for the unique experience you provided.

As an official GIC (Guy-in-Charge), you let us see the nuts-n-bolts of the
joys-n-frustrations of both launching and maintaining a TV series, unfiltered
through media editorial requirements.  (No slam to magazine articles, but they
are, necessarily, edited.)

You allowed us to hurl the GIC brickbats (as well as the GIC lingerie of
praise).

You gifted us with humorous 1-sentence volleys on one hand and more lengthy
posts on issues about which you felt deeply on the other.

On the regret side, it's sad that being online added the dual discomforts of
deification/demonization to the more prosaic discomfort of lack of sleep.

But back to to thanks side, thanks for keeping yourself available online even
through the regrettable <because you're here, we *own* you> Usenet slush.  In
the long run, all this back-and-forth will be no more than the ghosts of
phosphor-dots, but it's been remarkable while the phosphor-flare has lasted.

-rje- Never look a gifted horse in the mouth.

 #: 32664 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-May-98  00:48:12
Sb: #32632-#Thanks/Regrets
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...there's been much that was annoying in the online conversation,
but more that was positive and enjoyable, and in the long run, that's what
matters.  I don't regret having made the decision to stick with it and stay
accessible.  It's been a trial, no mistake...but I'm glad I did it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 32662 S2/Bab 5: General
    10-May-98  00:48:12
Sb: #WB Home Video Does B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Victories come in all sizes; in some ways, this is a small one, in other
ways this is a big one.

      For four years, we bugged Warner Bros. Home Video about releasing B5 on
videocassette in retail outlets.  But WB has never released a series before on
tape, it's not something they *do*, not sufficiently prestige when compared
with their big movies.  Eventually they were persuaded to let Columbia House
try it for mail-order, for the first season.

      And CH was *swamped* with orders.  Phones rang off the hook, and tapes
were back-ordered to try and fill the demand.

      And Warner Bros...noticed.

      And this month, they made a big announcement about the coming release of
Babylon 5 on video through retail outlets all over the country.  I've seen the
cover designs for the first batch, and they're extremely good looking
montages, each specifically designed for that tape.  They're putting a lot of
thought and effort and time into this, and a big campaign.  I believe the
first batch hits the stands in July or August, somewhere in there.

      This is a big victory for us.  On a grand scale, it may seem minor, but
it's the most direct statement of "you were right" we've ever had from WB, and
they were sufficiently mensches to say so, and act on it.

      If these go well, they're also talking laserdisks and DVDs down the
road, and should THAT happen, I'm going to push like hell to have them release
the widescreen versions.

      But that's the next campaign.  For now, this is a big victory for us,
and we're mighty pleased.

                                                                    jms

   rumour) that JMS and his B5 crew are to begin work on a new show based
   on the Sean Connery 'High Noon' update Outland." ]

 #: 32666 S3/Bab 5:International
    10-May-98  00:52:00
Sb: #32589-New Show
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's the funniest rumor I've seen in months.

      Where do they GET these things?  And why on earth don't they just ASK ME
before printing something as silly as this?

      It's not like I'm hard to find....

                                                                    jms

 #: 32618 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    09-May-98  13:40:14
Sb: #31950-#< Kosh Poison>
Fm: WILL CARAWAY

Joe,

	Thanks for the answer; in fact thanks for all the points I couldn't
get that you have cleared up over the years.  I know you get beat up alot
because of how available you make yourself, so I just wanted to take a minute
to state for the record that there are those of use that do truely appreciate
it.

	Following up on my Kosh question, had Kosh learned what was coming
from Valen?

	Regards,

	Will

 #: 32665 S4/Seas. 1-4 SPOILERS
    10-May-98  00:48:12
Sb: #32618-< Kosh Poison>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and there are some questions I'd like to pass on for now.

                                                                    jms

 #: 32865 S2/Bab 5: General
    11-May-98  23:40:06
Sb: #32863-#CC Debate: Over
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I don't feel I need to defend it...but a lot of people made a big
deal about who you should believe...and now it's clear what was going on at
the time was what I said it was...and a few folks are saying, "Well, now it
doesn't matter."  Well, it does matter, when it's my integrity and honesty
that's at issue.  If the original question was worth some folks making a big
deal out of it, then getting the facts straight should merit as much
attention.