Attn Jms : Crusade Production Questions

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Thu May 28 06:21:22 EDT 1998

From: sgwm at maitreya.demon.co.uk (sgwm)
Date: 26 May 1998 16:19:45 -0600

On 26 May 1998 10:11:58 -0600, in rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)wrote:

>I've stood on, and we've shot in, the set for the Excalibur, and I think it may
>be the coolest starship *I've* ever seen on film for TV, frankly.

This is my point, how did you and the production designers work on
this. Did you give them an outline of a few points and discuss the
feel \ look or did you give them a broad brush to be creative and come
up with something seriously cool?

>>Also, how do things proceed from an outline\idea to fleshing out a
>>fully fledged production? How do the producer and production designer
>>pull everything together? How will the use of more virtual sets
>>influence what you guys are doing now?
>
>It goes from the scripts.  For instance, the first script written will be the
>third one produced, to allow more time for production design on some of the
>elaborate set and other requirements.  And yes, we'll be doing more with
>virtual sets.

What about costume design and alien design. Again is this a case of
you setting a rough overall position on what you want or is it more
hands on?

>>Will you be using a script editor in Crusade, similar to the way Larry
>>De Tillio was used in seasons 1 and 2 of B5 before you started writing
>>all the episodes yourself?
>
>Even when Larry was on B5, I ended up rewriting the script to one degree or
>another, not to correct anything Larry did, 'cause he's one of the best, only
>to bring it into line with my view of B5, which is eccentric and subjective at
>best.

It's a brave man who attempts to steer someone else's vision. Though I
still feel stongly that a script editor has a lot to bring to the
table. Some of the stuff from season 2 is still the best you've done
IMO. Coming of Shadows, Comes the Inquisitor, Long Twilight Struggle.
They were passionate, eloquent and above all, moving.

>So at this point, there's no need to bring on a story editor, though
>I'll be keeping my eye out for possibilities to serve in that capacity on later
>seasons, once I find out who can write for this show and who can't.

Do you feel that the problem with finding a script editor is in
finding someone who understands the story and characters the way you
do or is it a case of findind someone who is suitably accomplished and
can do the best job?