JMS, Shame on you (was Re: ATTN: JMS: Re: Off-topic from jms

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 23 04:21:55 EST 2000

From: frank_mckenney at mindspring.com (Frank McKenney)
Date: 22 Feb 2000 08:07:01 -0700

In <20000221200512.01172.00000123 at ng-fj1.aol.com>, jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:
>>Needlessly cruel like violating the democratic process, maybe. Pity
>>that Hinckley fellow couldn't get closer. Oh well, at least the crook
>>will suffer longer this way. However bad Reagonomics may have been,
>>it's nothing on October Surprise and Iran/Contra. As far as JMS, the
>>only thing I can say is that Nixon is going to have company
>
>You know, it's funny that we all like to say we support freedom of speech and
>differing opinions until someone actually *uses* same, at which point one is
>pilloried for saying such things (though on the other hand it's enlivened the
>conversation a bit).
>
>I'm sorry, but I can have no soft spot in my heart for Reagan.

Joe,

I'm wandering into this a bit late, and I'm not sure I caught the thread
properly.  The words above sound like you're interpreting the above
(initial) quote as an attempt to prevent/dissuade you from using your
own "freedon of speech"?  If so, I'm confused, since from here it just
looks like the usual "give and take" (okay, the "give and Take That!
amd give and Take That!...)  that results from tww...  um, three...  um,
"some number" (;-) of people all making use of their "freedom of speech"
to disagree, exhort, rant, and (occasionally) communicate.

Or did I miss a critical part of the conversation?  Wouldn't be the
first time I did that (;-), and I realize it's hard to carry on an N-way
conversation(*) - especially if you have to keep stopping in the middle
and explaining everything all over again to each person who chooses to
jump into the fray...  er, "conversation".

As for the "vegetable" controversy I've seen elseqhere (not quoted
here), I can only offer the following quote from a person whose work
I've come to know and respect:

    "When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a
     foolish thing.  They can still continue to do it, but at least the
     truth is where it needs to be."
                            --  Dukhat / Babylon 5: Atonement

--
Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
E-mail: frank_mckenney at mindspring.com
--

(*) As opposed to an "M-way conversation", which usually involves
    commissions and distributorships (;-).

>The words above sound like you're interpreting the above
>(initial) quote as an attempt to prevent/dissuade you from using your
>own "freedon of speech"?  If so, I'm confused, since from here it just
>looks like the usual "give and take" (okay, the "give and Take That!
>amd give and Take That!...)

The original message indicated that, for nothing more than stating my views, I
should go to hell.

(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to