ATTN JMS: Season 5 Ivanova thought.

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Sat Sep 9 04:43:50 EDT 2000

From: Kjotvi <kjotvi at my-deja.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2000 16:01:46 -0700

In article <8pa6vu$vsd$1 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
  mvp at netcom.com (Mike Van Pelt) wrote:
> In article <20000907221214.09626.00000129 at ng-cp1.aol.com>,
> Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
> >Same thing when Claudia chose to leave the show.  That was a hard
> >one on all of us, but in my case, I had a whole arc worked out
> >for her that had to be dropped.
>
> I've been wondering for a while -- Did you consider having
> another actress (say, Tracy Scoggins) play Ivanova?  It
> seems to me she could have handled this role.
>
> --
> Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon,    | Mike Van Pelt
> and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor.    | mvp at netcom.com
> It's been far too long.     -- Gene Cernan            | KE6BVH

In a sense, she did. The first two or three episodes of season five
were obviously written with the character of Ivanova in mind, only the
name had been changed. Tracy read them as writen, and came off sounding
very wooden and hollow (in my opinion). When they got to where they
were using scripts written with Tracy's personality in mind, the
character became much more believable. Both of these women can project
force of will and have a knack for irony, but they are of a different
timbere. Switching the one for the other just felt discordant, much
like drinkning from a cup of what you expect to be warm coffee, and
finding out it is in fact cold Coca Cola.

I still find that the Ivanova flavor if ironic humor resonates more
strongly in my heart, and I would love to see Claudia back in the role.
Kjotvi at my-deja.com

    "Form follows function - and frequently obliterates it."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.