[B5JMS] Propaganda

b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-admin at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Jan 17 04:24:58 EST 2003

From: "David Williams" <dwilliams298 at attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 05:40:34 GMT

Well........

Surfing during commercials for Whose Line..., I came across something that I
still can't quite wrap my brain around.

On the HISTORY channel, was a brand spankin' new American military
propaganda show called "U.S. Weapons", hosted by Arthur "Wooden-Face" Kent.
The show was all about showing off our latest weapons and military tech.
Now they have these kind of shows all the time.  But this one caught me
really off-guard.
Now get this, because this is the important part:

Listening to the narration, this show's theme was to show off all of the new
tech that WILL BE USED in the IMPENDING war with Iraq that WILL BE TAKING
PLACE SHORTLY!
No qualifiers.  No ifs, ands or buts.  Much to my surprise, the war has
already started.

Over and over they said things like, "This is the type of bomber we will
use, and here's where we're going to station them.  This is what their
mission will be, and this is the type of tech we will use.  Then, once we
get into Baghdad, we will switch to tactic A-B-C, etc."  The entire
narration was delivered like somebody discussing a project that was fully
approved and under-way.

I was bothered for two reasons:
1. This was the H-I-S-T-O-R-Y  channel.  I naively thought they were
supposed to educate their viewers on history, not serve as a blatant
propaganda machine for the history-makers in D.C. hell-bent on war.
2. This may be the first documentary I've seen that un-abashedly refers to a
FUTURE war that WILL take place, as if it's inevitable.

Now, if this was an on-the-spot news report, it'd be one thing.  But this
show has clearly been in the works for quite some time, and just waiting for
a green light to air.  If the tone of this show is any indicator, I think we
can count on the war starting this weekend.

I don't know if I'm making my point clear, but my disgust just leaves me....