[B5JMS] B5 revival rumors in latest Jerry Doyle interview

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Sep 6 04:27:33 EDT 2003

From: "David Williams" <dwilliams298 at comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 05:40:17 +0000 (UTC)

<< I just want to drop into this discussion about Fox a hearty plug for Al
Franken's new book, Lies and the Lying Liares Who Tell Them.  The book is
> relentlessly researched, and is a massive indictment of some of the
falsehoods
> that have been perpetrated by those with a vested interest in doing so.
The
> section on Fox News is worth the price of admission all by itself.
>
>  jms >>

Picked it up the other day, and I'm halfway through it.  Pretty good so far,
but I haven't gotten to the part about W yet.
Can hardly wait!  >:-)

btw, I picked it up at a mall while out visiting some accounts.  Stopped in
the bookstore first because it was more convenient.  When I got to the
account, one associate was curious as to what I'd bought.  I made the
mistake of letting her see what I had in the bag.  I was frankly (or
Frankenly) not prepared for her vociferous reaction.  She was flat disgusted
with me that I had bought the book, and that I would actually (and here I
quote)  "...read that shit.  Al Franken is a complete asshole."
Fist I tried to shrug it off and steer the conversation away from a
political conversation in the professional setting altogether.  When that
didn't work, I then tried to explain to her that actually I read a little
from all sides of the political spectrum.  That even if I disagree with
someone, I can't do so legitimately if I haven't bothered to read what they
have to say.
Like many of her ilk, she refused to listen.  She would rather blankly
accept whatever her political heroes (incl. Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh)
have to say.  God forbid she practice the ancient art of listening.  Exactly
the sort of person that Franken rails against in his book.
btw when I put her on the spot, she was forced to admit she herself had
never read anything by Franken, and wouldn't because...  [more expletives].

Anyway, lesson learned:
Wait until AFTER visiting accounts to do my book shopping.

And I HAVE in fact read Rush Limbaugh (et al).  "The Way Things Ought to Be"
gave me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Of course, that was only when I used it for
kindling...

Regards,
-David W.